*Ju!cE*|ClanWar:.^
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to chip like you are putting

Go down

How to chip like you are putting Empty How to chip like you are putting

Post  elleinsmith Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:24 pm

The inability to hit a short chip shot is as much mental as physical. To overcome these obstacles,

you need to simplify both your mental approach and your physical technique. The next time you have a

short chip shot, try using an Ping G15 Irons

instead of a wedge. It’s an approach I sometimes use myself. That’s because it works.

Here are 6 keys to chipping:

• Replace your wedge with an 8 iron
• Take a normal putting stance
• Place hands and weight forward
• Hold the club vertically
• Hit the ball off the toe-end of the clubface
• Rock your shoulders to control roll of ball

The key to accurate chipping is keeping the ball low so it runs like a putt when it hits the ground.

Here’s a drill I use in my golf lessons designed to teach players to keep the ball low.

Ping G15 Hybrid

Lay a club or bag horizontally across two baskets placed about three feet apart. Then, step back a

few feet and try chipping under the obstacle toward the hole, using either a wedge or an 8 iron.

To chip under the obstacle, you must deloft the club, which you can do by keeping your hands ahead of

the clubhead when you swing. Discount Golf Clubs

Having a visual obstacle to hit the ball under forces you to develop your ability to keep the ball

low. Keep practicing this shot until it becomes second nature.

Hitting the short chip shot well—whether you use a wedge or an 8 iron— is a start toward improving

your short game, and chopping strokes of your golf handicap. And aren’t those the real goals?

elleinsmith

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum